Drugs smuggled in through Incheon Airport surge since pandemic: lawmaker
简介The amount of drugs smuggled into South Korea through the country's main gateway has increased ...
The amount of drugs smuggled into South Korea through the country's main gateway has increased since international travel resumed after the pandemic, an opposition lawmaker said Tuesday.
The amount of narcotics smuggled into South Korea through Incheon International Airport, west of Seoul, rose from 129,362 grams in 2020 to 538,241 grams in 2022, Rep. Maeng Sung-kyu of the main opposition Democratic Party said, citing data from the Korea Customs Service.
From January to July this year, 311,187 grams of narcotics worth 24 billion won ($17.8 million) came in through the country's main gateway, he said.
South Korea lifted its mandatory PCR testing on inbound travelers on Oct. 1, 2022, effectively lifting all pandemic restrictions against international travelers to the country.
The total amount of drugs smuggled in by tourists has also bounced back.
The figure decreased from 49,755 grams in 2020 to 12,944 grams in 2021, due to strict pandemic border controls, but surged to 35,804 grams last year as global travel resumed.
From 2018 to July this year, 1.7 million grams of narcotics worth around 810 billion won was seized at Incheon International Airport, according to the data.
Maeng called for the government to crack down on international travelers trying to smuggle drugs into the country. (Yonhap)
Hyundai Motor Co., South Korea's top carmaker, and its sister company, Kia Corp., are set to po ...
김정은 북한 국무위원장이 13일 러시아 보스토치니 우주기지에서 블라디미르 푸틴 대통령과 정상회담, 연회 등 일정을 진행한 뒤 다음 방문지를 향해 떠났다고 노동당 기관지 노동신문이 ...
9월 셋째 주 주요뉴스 키워드는 #통계조작 #조국 #최강인 의원직상실 #정유정 계획범죄 인정 #세수 펑크 #이재명 체포동의안 가결 #미국ㆍ이란 수김자 맞교환 #윤 대통령 UN총회 ...
- 국회서 피켓‧고성 사라지나…여야, 정쟁자제 '신사협정' 체결
- FNC to debut new boy band Ampers&One on Nov. 15
- AI Auction debuts tax consultant chatbot
- Business sentiment falls in S. Korea over Middle East tensions: poll
- Celltrion chief calls merger crucial to beat bigger rivals
- Eximbank holds workshop on development financing
- The Boyz to return next month with new album
- [From the Scene] Don't remember Itaewon alley as place of death, victims' families say
- Silversmith William Lee wins Craft Prize 2023
- Seoul shares dip amid grim outlook for EV sector
- [Weekender] Behind the scenes of Korean food crazes
- Sabre fencer, swimming relay team eye historic medals
- Golden apples: Why fruit prices are national issue in early autumn
- Surveillance cameras to be a must in hospital operating rooms
- From traditional to trendy, three of Seoul's top yukhoe spots
- "가리비 8m 천장까지 쌓였다"…단 한달만에 日 타격 입힌 中
- [Photo News] Mudeungsan fully opens door to public after 57 years
- Korea’s parental leave benefits lag behind OECD average
- Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
- Seoul shares close lower amid woes over Fed's drawn
- Apple to launch iPhone15 series in S. Korea on Oct. 13
- Opposition party leader ends 24
- Mirae Asset continues to lead domestic equity ETF market
- [Test Drive] Toyota’s minivan Alphard boasts sedanlike drive
- S. Korea, US conduct underwater search operation for downed jet, Korean War remains
- Xi says he will consider S. Korea visit
- S. Korean firms urge US to clarify 'foreign entity of concern'
- US finalizes national security 'guardrails' for CHIPS funding
- KFCC promotes financial inclusion via branches in developing nations