Seoul shares open higher as US Treasury yields slide
简介South Korean stocks opened higher Tuesday as US Treasury yields took a breather after soaring in the ...
South Korean stocks opened higher Tuesday as US Treasury yields took a breather after soaring in the past few days.
The benchmark Korea Composite Stock Price Index added 7.77 points, or 0.33 percent, to 2,364.79 in the first 15 minutes of trading.
Overnight, Wall Street ended mixed as US Treasury yields dropped after hitting 5 percent and investors awaited earnings reports from tech giants, including Microsoft Corp., Alphabet Inc. and Amazon.com, later this week.
In Seoul, market bellwether Samsung Electronics added 0.29 percent, and SK hynix, the country's No. 2 chipmaker, gained 1.53 percent.
Bio and IT shares got off to a strong start.
Samsung Biologics soared 3.14 percent, and Celltrion jumped 2.35 percent.
Internet portal operator Naver also shot up 2.75 percent, and Kakao, the operator of the country's top mobile messenger, advanced 2.24 percent.
Battery shares, however, started weak.
Industry leader LG Energy Solution dropped 1.26 percent, Samsung SDI lost 0.95 percent, and Posco Future M inched down 0.17 percent.
Auto shares were mixed, with Hyundai Motor down 0.49 percent and its smaller affiliate Kia up 0.12 percent.
The local currency was trading at 1,345.30 won against the US dollar at 9:15 a.m., up 8.4 won from the previous session's close. (Yonhap)
South Korean drama production Studio Dragon said Friday it notched accolades at the 2023 Asian Acade ...
Japanese Foreign Minister Yoko Kamikawa thanked South Korean Foreign Minister Park Jin for evacuatin ...
SEJONG-- Yu In-chon's Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism will continue the legacy of stren ...
- 北, 개성공단 30개 시설 무단 가동…통일부 "분명히 책임 묻겠다"
- 北, 러 주최 국제포럼서 '국제수송' 논의…무기거래 우회로 찾나
- [New in Korean] Witches, ecofeminism, climate crisis: Tale of resilience and nature’s power
- Seoul defense exhibition aims to boost arms exports
- LG's new research promises potential for 900km
- HMM sale to face hurdles amid slowdown in shipping industry
- BTS Jungkook's star
- S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
- Returning minister Yu In
- Korea extends fuel tax cut scheme until year's end
- SK chief discusses ICT partnerships with Estonia, Carribean Community
- Pyongyang denies allegations of Hamas using North Korean weapons
- [이번 주 리뷰] 중동 전쟁 우려…국민의힘 보선 참패(9~14일)
- Over 90% of fines for illegal short selling imposed on foreign firms
- Try on traditional Korean costume during Hanbok Culture Week
- S. Korea entering 'recovery phase' amid geopolitical uncertainties: Choo
- 김웅 "이준석 사면은 내부총질·해당행위…마녀재판 맞았던 것"
- [Life In Korea] Delivering 'taste of life' via street art
- Posco, HBIS Group complete steel sheet plant in China
- Seoul International Pride Film Festival kicks off on Nov. 2
- 카타르 국왕, 내년 방한 수락…“중동 107조 운동장 열려”
- SK Pharmteco bets big on cell, gene therapy
- Sumi Jo awarded Geumgwan Order, highest honor for artists
- Hyundai Mobis Q3 net jumps 78% on sales growth of key components
- LG Electronics to bolster local strategies, B2B push to widen gap with Chinese rivals
- Olympic medalist ‘tricked’ by fiance
- Architect Dominique Perrault's 'Lightwalk' displayed at French Embassy in Seoul
- [Coffee Klatch] Unique mugwort tea latte paired with flower cakes, dango
- Seoul expected to be one of most sought
- Revamped 'Sister Act' with diverse cast gets ready for international premiere
- Supreme Court dismisses Buseoksa's appeal in Bodhisattva statue ownership dispute
- SK hynix logs quarterly losses for 4th consecutive quarter
- Mirae Asset Securities names Kim Mi
- SK Innovation joins hands with Fiji for mangrove restoration
- 유엔 대북제재위 "北 가상화폐 탈취 2조3000억, 이전보다 3배"
- Korean beef prices, poultry shares soar as cattle disease spreads